Friday, July 11, 2008

Remember

Some dates are etched deeply across my heart.
July 13, 2001 is one of those days.
My painting, Storms, came five years later.
Justin was working at the Wilds Christian Camp for his third summer. That morning he climbed a tree in the guys cabin area to begin taking it down. All the branches had been taken off and Justin was within 30 seconds of coming down out of the tree when the trunk snapped. Justin fell with the tree onto one of the cabin roofs and then to the ground. He died instantly. And just as instantly our lives were changed.

I offer you a brief collection of my memories.
This is the last valentine Justin sent me. He was 19.


We loved being silly in front of the camera. This is our last Christmas together. (2000)


Finally, we made "happy faces." Justin, Lauren, Sharon, Morgan.


Justin was all boy. Strong, but gentle.


He rode this bike for five years. Wore out and replaced every part.


Some days come uninvited.

No comments: