Tuesday, February 23, 2010

faith

"most of us come to the church by a means the church does not allow." Flannery O'Conner

I must say that I have tried to come to the church by the only means they do allow. I have been saved and baptized. I have repented, prayed, done a multitude of good deeds, read my Bible, given my tithe, worked in church settings, gone to the mission field. And at the end of the day, the church still threw me out. I guess in reality, I did my own purging of the church in my own life as well.

And now, I find myself turning around. Pursuing faith - not the church. Finding the spiritual in the ordinary.

1 comment:

Petra said...

I love this!

The more out of the "rules and regulations" game I get, the more I realize that's exactly what God wants from us - faith... and love. Not church or rules or tithe or any of those things. I don't think they're wrong in and of themselves, in fact, they *can* be good, but what's the point of them without faith and love? I feel like I got cheated being taught it was the other way around - rules first! So glad to be learning it now. :)