Tuesday, September 22, 2009

One Inch Frame

I've been cutting out one inch squares from magazines. My goal is to paint the same image as a much larger square. It's challenging to find a good composition that's part of a larger picture. To help me, I've cut a frame with a one inch opening. I can slide it over a photo until the design is just right, trace it off with a pencil and cut it out.
If I look at my life through a one inch frame, I don't get quite so overwhelmed by the intensity and complexity of it all. For example, today was a frustrating day at work. I was assigned to go on a field trip, but given no particular job. No one seemed to know what was going on or who needed to be where and when. But, when I slide the one inch frame over the day, I see the few moments I got to sit with the Kindergartners while they showed me their fossils and shark's teeth. They carefully extracted their treasure from their pocket for me to admire. If I slide the frame to the left a little, I see the butterfly garden with fuchsia berries, bean trees, and ceramic sculptures. The sun was dancing through the soft breeze while I talked with a couple of master gardeners.
Maybe I need to practice cutting out one inch squares from my day to day life.

1 comment:

Petra said...

Love it!!

I was just reminded today that I need to just take life one day at a time... kind of the same concept. :)