Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Progress

There's something about putting my fears out there that shrinks them down somewhat. My studio is clean - or rather cleaner/neater than it was. I began cutting apart old sweaters and sewing the scraps together. I actually am liking the crazy quilt pattern more than I thought I would. Last night, I fell asleep dreaming of ways to incorporate this piece into a twin size quilt. How would I back it? What would I back it with? Batting?

I did find a monster in my studio, just as I feared. It reared its ugly head when I came across some artwork from college with my professor's comments. "You don't try hard enough. You are satisfied with the first solution." And I remembered. . . all the times the direction were handed out on a half sheet of paper, read to us, any questions were discussed and then the professor would leave the room. Occasionally, he would come back lean over my shoulder and grunt "interesting." That enigmatic word. Early in my studies I would ask what that meant. It was never defined. Did it mean good? bad? mediocre? Yes, I needed to try harder - but I also needed someone to set an example for me. I needed someone to stretch me. I needed someone to teach me to think.......to think with me, not think for me.

No comments: